Coming back to Indiana in the spring is always a pleasure because Dick and I both enjoy watching everything "coming back to life". We have several fruit trees in our backyard (apple, pear and cherry) and their spring blooms are very fragrant and beautiful. One apple tree is grafted with five different apple varieties. The earliest apple to come on is in the middle of August and we use them for applesauce and apple butter. Next are the pound sweets and you bet each one of those apples can weigh close to a pound. Those are used for apple pie filling and as a mix with the Roma's on applesauce. One of the others is a dessert apple - small, but firm with a reddish skin. They are good eating apples and also for baking desserts. The two others are like a russet (I think) and we use them for making apple cider. So the last thing we do in the fall before we head back to Florida is take the last of the apples out to an Amish farm near Bremen and several gallons of apple cider are produced. If I wasn't retired I couldn't enjoy the work this tree brings in the fall!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment